24 April 2014

Restaurants in trouble – who knows?

30/11/2011 10:08:00 a.m.

0 Comments

Ollie Edwards . . . “more people will come here”.

Ollie Edwards . . . “more people will come here”.

STREET TALK among the cafes of Wellington indicates there could be an après Christmas restaurant shake-out.
A Wellington food wholesaler suggests the rumours may be true.
The wholesaler said there was a feeling  that quite a number of restaurants in and around the city were struggling, and some may close after Christmas.  Recently Kayu Manis on Cuba Street, and The Eating House on the Terrace have closed.
However an American website specialising in the worldwide hospitality trade says that although there are now fewer hospitality businesses in the Wellington region than last year, in the city hospitality business numbers are pretty steady and employment numbers have increased slightly.
Featherston St restaurateur and bar owner, Andrew Hadley of Capri, says since his venue has become more of a dining restaurant they’ve seen more diners, both at lunchtime and in the evening, “and our Christmas function bookings are nearly full up”.
He says things look good at the moment, although managing is tricky “because now, we often get 50 people, but occasionally we might get only five”.   Lunchtime weather has a noticeable effect on customer numbers.  “We always do well on wet days, but if it’s a lovely day some people just buy takeaways and go across to the wharf”.
Over at Leuven, also on Featherston Street, Todd Hunter thinks the World Cup soaked up a lot of disposable income, and says some restaurants could be having a bad time.  He says the competition is certainly on, “lots of people are looking for something for nothing” and many restaurants are resorting to two for one deals or special website offers.  He thinks quite a number of restaurants may have been hedging their bets on the Rugby World Cup, which “didn’t really happen”.
He takes pride in the fact that Leuven has been going for 11 years, and says he only closes on Christmas Day.  “Wellington diners are business people during the week, but tourist ships bring some business, and as the city becomes more and more of a tourist destination, we are seeing more of them in the weekends”.
He adds cautionary note: “With the upgrading of the Auckland viaduct and Wynyard quarter and better transport to their stadium we will need to look after the rugby 7’s or they’ll take it off us and it’s one of Wellington’s iconic events”.
Both men mention the number of takeaway outlets in the area, and it certainly looks possible that much of the CBD lunchtime trade might be going to takeaway stores.  Two new outlets on Jervois Quay by the Z petrol station have joined the plethora of sushi and takeaway places in the area.   There’s a new Wholly Bagels opening, and an Auckland takeaway chain, Habitual Fix, has just opened its first Wellington store there, right beside the breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant Trade Kitchen.
Trade Kitchen’s Ollie Edwards says this is all good, “More restaurants together mean that people go to the area to eat, and we all do better”.  He says the north end of Wellington’s CBD is becoming a food destination like Courtenay Place or Cuba St ”, and laughs at talk of restaurant closures, cheerfully saying  “More people will come here”.
Email This Print

0 Comments

Don't worry, we wont make this public

No comments.

Best of Wellington 2012

Briefs

  • Making housing affordable 27/03/2013 10:06:00 a.m. With home ownership rates falling and many struggling to play higher rental costs, making housing affordable has risen to the top of the political agenda.
    Joel Pringle, campaign manager for Australians for Affordable Housing, and Charles Waldegrave, from the Family Centre, will address a meeting as part of a public discussion on housing at Thistle Hall on April 8.
    Waldegrave will look at the human faces of housing unaffordability while Pringle will suggest ways to build public support for affordable housing policies in New Zealand.
  • Food to the rescue 27/03/2013 10:06:00 a.m.
    Food rescue organisation, Kaibosh, has been named supreme winner at the TrustPower National Community Awards.
    The Wellington based service group collaborates with food retailers and producers to rescue surplus food that is good enough to eat, but not good enough to sell, preventing it from being discarded into landfills.
    Since its inception in 2008 Kaibosh has rescued over 285,000 meals – that’s 100 tonnes of food redistributed to where it’s needed most.

Reader's Poll

Should more council consultation be online instead of in public meetings? (See page 5.)